How To Use Targeted Messaging & Offers
Last month, we introduced our targeted offers and messaging to our partnered clubs. This marketing tool allows you to instantly send relevant messages and offers to your customers based on whatever criteria you like. You may receive offers like this already personally from national brands like CVS, Nordstroms, or Domino’s Pizza. Now your club can perform similar marketing techniques to effectively engage with your customers too! In this blog, you will learn more about why targeted marketing tools, like the one available to you, is a win for your club and customers! Also, we are going to provide a list of ways you can use send targeted messages to your customers depending on the offer scenario or customer type.
As you are probably noticing more than ever, brands are using online retargeted efforts to capture your attention and entice you to their site. It is fate or “meant to be” that the Hawaii Getaway trip being advertised to you is popping up days after looking into flights to warmer weather states. As creepy or annoying as this can be, it’s actually quite effective when it comes to converting an online audience to paying customers. In fact, according to a recent study on consumer behavior, 71% of respondents said they would prefer ads that are tailored to their personalized interests and shopping habits. In addition, 44% of customers said in order to receive more relevant offers, they would be willing to provide their name, address, email address, and product preferences. These statistics show consumers are expecting more when it comes to the customer experience and marketing engagement. Why this is important is because you can now use similar retargeting methods to engage with your customers with relevant offers or messages based on their interests and spending habits.
I’ll Walk Through Some Examples Of What You Can Send And Things To Consider When Crafting These Offers!
Since we are in the thick of the Holiday shopping season, let’s start off with some ways to target specific customer segments this time of the year. Many clubs are offering general promotions to entice 2019 memberships, players pass, gift certificates, and discounts off merchandise. These are great general promotions, but try targeting your customers with the following:
- Get A $100 Gift Card, Get A Free $25 Gift Card
- Target Segment - Members at your club. Your members already have a golf covered with their membership, but they would certainly appreciate a credit or gift card to your pro shop, where they can purchase something for themselves or gift that to someone else.
- New Golf Equipment In Stock - Target high spending customers to reserve their new driver. If you have golf equipment in your golf shop and anticipate a new stock of the latest and greatest by Taylormade of Callaway, make sure to get that message out to your customers.
- Target Segment: customers who have purchased golf equipment from you or customers who have spent over $500 in the last year. This segment is those that have shown a history of significant purchasing behavior at your golf shop.
- Sip and Shop Night. Shop the golf shop sales, and enjoy a complimentary glass of wine in the Clubhouse. An event like this takes minimal effort and investment (a few bottles of wine) and doesn’t necessarily need a “sale” or discount associated with it.
- Target Segment: Members or women at your club. Women tend to be the shoppers in the household, or if targeted to members only, it creates an exclusive perk that makes them feel valued.
Every business wants to find the “secret sauce” solution that keeps their customers wanting to come back. It’s no surprise in golf that many of our customers have options when it comes to where they can play, so it’s important to target your customers to stay ahead of the competition.
- Tournament Player Offer - $5 Off Your Next Round. From any tournament, your win-back offer can be a targeted offer. When using the Gallus Tournament Software, you can easily set that up. In addition to growing your downloads for your Club App, you have the opportunity to market to these players via targeted messaging. Send tournament players an offer for $5 off their next round or a 2-for-1 Golf to encourage them to come back with a friend (new customer!).
- Target Segment - Tournament Players
We Miss You Offer - $10 Off Your Round
Target Segment - Customers who would play consistently and haven’t played your course in 2-3 months. If you want to dive into a specific customer segment, such as those who would play on the weekends, have an offer that is weekend specific. Tailoring a reward to their previous tee times will be beneficial in getting them back to your course.
Food & Beverage
Drive more spend to food and beverage through your app! Our mobile ordering solution, onTAP, allows your customers to view and make orders to your kitchen from any location. Orders can be customized to be either be picked up at the clubhouse or delivered at their location on the course. Below are some examples of how you can grow your kitchen sales by utilizing the app tools available to you.
- 10% Off When You Order Through The App. Make this an ongoing offer each month to those who have not made an in-app order. This will create some buzz around the new feature of ordering through your app and entice your golfers to be more engaged with their app usage. Each month update the offer and the new list of customers who have not made an order and they will be notified they have an offer waiting for them.
- Target Segment: First-time Spenders
- Beer Bucket Deal For Group. No need to always discount. You can offer a special package or experience for your golfers who have booked with a friend. For any of twosome or foursome booked for the week, send them a Beer Bucket Special for 6 domestic beers for $30 or a volume price that is aligned with your menu. This is a win for the golfers, who feel like they are getting a deal and a win for the course who is getting them to increase the average spending transaction during a typical day at the course. Cheers to that! 🍻
- Target Segment: Twosome or Foursome Booked (over 21 years of age)
Memberships & Annual Players Passes
- Purchase Your Membership. Whether you offer an annual membership or players pass program, this is an easy way to remind and ensure your customer renew with you. Simply send them a message with a reminder of the perks and payment date, and ideally a link to guide them to a payment confirmation page. If your player's passes are semi-annual or monthly, use this same messaging technique to engage with that target audience.
- Target Segment: Existing Members
How To Send A Targeted Offer:
- Think about which customer segment you want to target. Export their emails from your tee sheet or email list.
- What is the offer that is relevant to this segment? This can be a discount or a value-added package.
- Once logged into the Gallus Golf Dashboard, create the offer in the Offer Locker.
- Target the message to your customer segment by importing the emails.
- Check “Send Push” and click “Create” and your offer will send!