Recently we shared an article with you that shared many stats from us and the NGF that highlighted reasons to market to a demographic that lines up perfectly with the golf world. We discussed just how engaged the 45-65 year old demographic is with your marketing efforts, and this week we’d like to talk about a SMARTER path to reaching them and then driving a very loyal relationship. You can read the other article HERE.
So, how do we get “smarter” in a marketing approach? Making your approach RELEVANT is absolutely key.
The most important thing we can do in marketing to achieve success is make it relevant to the people who will be receiving your marketing messages. If you have attended any conference in the golf industry in the past few years, you’ve likely heard at least one speaker rattle on about how crucial collecting data is to your success as a golf business. A lot of times that data they are referring to is simply making sure you are getting your customers’ email addresses, but we’d like to talk about diving much deeper into data you likely have easy access to, and then we will address how to put it to work for you.
Data is what is going to make your marketing message Relevant.
For example, you’d like to run a “Defector” campaign - meaning let’s pick a number of days, say 30, that an individual has not played your golf course, and then make an effort to get them back to the course ASAP. This campaign could be worded in a message something like this: “We miss you! It’s been a while since we’ve seen you here at Whisky Barrel Golf Club and we’d love to have you back soon. The course is in awesome condition right now, and to entice you just a bit, we will knock $5 off your next round and a sandwich and a soft drink are on us during your visit!”
Choosing the data you would like to be your criteria to make these offers can be anything:
- Bounce-Back offers to a tournament field - “Thanks for participating in the Superintendent’s Revenge tournament last weekend. As a show of our gratitude, redeem this offer for ____ on your next visit!”
- Birth Month offers - “Hello September Born Golfers! Did you know we offer ____ during a visit in the month of your birth? Redeem on your next visit!”
- Moving Merchandise - data shows you who in the last 6 months has purchased a particular brand that you may be currently overstocked with “Special NOW and while supplies last - Show this offer in the golf shop for 10% off all Travis Mathew merchandise”
Or anything else you can dream up. This DATA is available in your POS system, and with just a little effort you can be building RELEVANT offers to market right away.
Next - DELIVER your message… It’s as easy as 1,2,3 in your branded mobile app from us, and it’s something that can be delivered exclusively to the audience, or even down to the individual you choose.
- Mine the DATA you want to build your offer around
- Build your message in the Offer Locker portion of YOUR app
- Send it to the audience you’ve chosen
Then we help you reach out even further by providing you the list of people who are not receiving it in your app so you can shoot them a quick and direct email directing them to the Offer Locker and how to redeem it.
Does It Work?
Great Question! The Offer Locker feature, and particularly Targeted Offers, are still relatively new within our apps. Here are some stats for the courses we work with that have begun to use the Offer Locker in their apps:
- There have been 2,892 offers made as of August 31, 2019
- Within those offers they have been viewed by users 318,153 - this is the equivalent of an open of an email. The user has opened the specific offer and viewed it.
- That means there have been 110 sets of eyeballs on every offer extended
- 48,421 of these offers have been redeemed by customers. That means every offer is redeemed by 17 people on average. 17 may not sound like a lot, but if that translates to rounds and you make many offers per month - this could add hundreds of rounds and thousands of dollars to your year
Building Loyal Behavior
As mentioned in last week’s blog (HERE), our most engaged demographic within the apps we have built is that golfer demographic, the 45-65 year-olds.
Pair this with the engagement statistics above, and send a RELEVANT message, based on DATA that is from your customer base, and success will follow! Then, once you have established the pattern of them accessing and engaging with your Offer Locker, begin placing offers in there that repeat on a monthly basis to keep them coming back over and over again.
Golf Courses Without An App: